Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My daughter was home from college few days and her friend

Customer Question

My daughter was home from college for a few days and her friend stayed at the house and watched her cat. He ran out of dry food so gave him wet food for about 3 days or so. She is now back home and he won't eat his dry food, isn't drinking water and has been pooping on himself. We don't want to rush to the vet as we know cats can be funny when their environment changes. Thoughts?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Kash
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kaash?
Customer: No not really - he will be 1 in July. He has not been fixed yet. She did say he would eat her goldfish and mac & cheese. I know, not good.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. That sudden change in diet can definitely cause an upset stomach like this. If he was just having the diarrhea, it wouldn't be as big of a concern and could probably try adding a teaspoon of Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin to his meal to increase fiber to help with the diarrhea. Given that he isn't eating, there is more of a concern. Anorexic cats can develop serious liver issues in as little as 3 days. You can try going out and getting a can of the wet food he was being fed to see if he will eat it. If so, try, adding some Metamucil or canned pumpkin to it. If the stool is formed in a day or two, you can gradually mix the dry food back in and gradually take the wet food out. If he won't even eat the wet food, or if the diarrhea continues for more than a day after getting him to eat again; I would have him evaluated by your vet for sure. If you notice any vomiting, blood in the stool or abdominal pain; he really needs to just be seen by the vet ASAP. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John