Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Pearl she hasn't been feeling well the past day she was

Customer Question
Hi pearl she hasn't been...
Hi pearl she hasn't been feeling well the past day she was committing she ate last night but seemed to snub her nose at food today. I just checked on her and her jaw is super swollen the size of a golf ball. Her eyes are little runny and seems like they are going to swell shut
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I have taken some pics as well
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** believe she is close to 10 or 11
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/24/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Do you mean the area under her jaw or her lips?Can she keep water down?Any breathing changes?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, plants, chemicals, etc)?Can you post your photos for me? To do so, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.
Thank you, ***** ***** I have received your photo and she is quite swollen.Did this come up suddenly? Any wounds in the swollen area?Is her breathing normal?
Hello again,I do apologize but I cannot offer a phone service at this time.In any case, looking at the dramatic swelling alongside her drooling, appetite loss, and vomiting (all nausea signs), I’d be quite suspicious that Chili has had an altercation with a stinging insect (ie bee, wasp, spider). As well, we would also need to consider if she may have had access to a non-cat friendly plant as some can cause all these signs as well. And just to note, our common causes for GI upset (gut infections, pancreatitis, etc) wouldn’t be likely to cause the facial signs and therefore are less likely here.With all this in mind, we do want to take some steps to help her. To start, we can try to soothe her stomach with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.Once she is more settled and can keep tablets down, we can plan to follow this with an antihistamine to get that swelling down. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic reaction. Alternatively, you can also use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.Overall, all of Chili's signs look to be related to an allergic reaction. Hopefully she has had no access to snakes but in any case the most common cause would be a stinging insect but there are some plants can do so. Therefore, we'd want to use the above now as long as she is breathing comfortably (if she wasn't, she would need to be seen urgently). If we can reduce her signs, we're happy. Though if she is struggling or cannot keep oral medications down, then we'd want to have her seen so that her vet can bypass her mouth with antihistamines, anti-nausea medication +/ steroids to get this settled for her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was greatly mistaken her chest is also swollen. Looks like her back leg is messed up. I'm wondering if she was struck by something
Oh goodness,Has she had access to the outdoors before you found her like this? Because if she is swollen in her chest region and has a leg issue, then a car having hitting her would be a real worry and we'd be concerned we could have a jaw fracture under the swelling.Please take care,Dr. B.
With more areas of swelling and these additional findings, trauma is a real worry here. So, her being sore isn’t understandable. Though if she is swelling further, we’d be worried about bleeds and I do really feel we would want to consider having her seen at this point for pain relief but so her vet can assess and treat her injuries. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. We are monitoring her at this point. I don't really have the finances to take her to emergency vet at this point. Hopefully we can hold out til the morning.
You are very welcome, I completely understand. Though do keep a close eye and if we see any breathing changes (>30 breaths per minute), or if her gums start to look pale/white; then we’d really need to think about having her seen sooner.Best wishes for your lass,Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian