Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Well good morning! JA: What sort of animal are we talking

Customer Question
Well good morning! JA: What sort...
Well good morning!
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: My cat; female, spayed, 8 years old.
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?
Customer: she's acting neurotic. she's rolling her skin on her back like she thinks there's something crawling on her. she's constantly grooming herself - back, legs, anywhere she can; she can't sit still and bolts off within seconds of being in one place.
JA: Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: as in did she fall off of a high place? I don't think so
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat? The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do.
Customer: she's had a history of throwing up frequently, but yet is fairly fat. We've recently changed her food to a mix of 1/2 medicated 1/2 normal dry food.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sophie
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/22/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I believe that you're describing the feline hyperesthesia syndrome. Please take a look at this link and tell me if this is what you're witnessing: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/HyperesthesiaSyndrome.cfm?gclid=CjwKEAjwsYW6BRCTzvu5y8DPhi0SJABnGLlHvpLl_sZF6DG9I70lLI7WTVkxH017DayAYXp-yAXtJxoCIM_w_wcB
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Except for the part where it describes the cat going back to normal behavior, yes, this sounds like the same symptoms.
Thank you. What is the longest time Sophie has remained symptomatic?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This cat has been behaving this way for the last 48 hours with no sign of relief. I've given her some children's Benadryl to help her rest. The food I've changed her to isn't medicated (I was wrong when I wrote that) it's called Focus: Adult Sensitive Skin and & Stomach and has lamb, rice/oatmeal, Omega-6 and antioxidents. She rejected it immediately and so we've mixed it with regular Cat Chow Complete so she'll eat something. She's had a history of throwing up but yet she's overweight - which is why we changed her diet.
Thank you. As you've read, seizure disorder is considered in these cats. If her behavior has continued unabated for so long, I would consider her to be in status epilepticus - the state in which central nervous system agitation doesn't abate without my heavily sedating or anesthestizing my patient. Unless you're fortunate to have a regular vet open on a Sunday, a veterinary ER will be necessary to treat and then monitor Sophie over the next 24 hours. In general, the diagnostics necessary to clarify the etiology of this disorder are quite advanced and costly and so rarely performed; instead, drug trials (glucocorticosteroids such as prednisolone, psychotherapeutic drugs such as fluoxetine, anticonvulsants such as phenobarbital, e.g.) are prescribed and we see how these various drugs affect our patient.Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Couple more questions, please:
1) You think this is unrelated to the diet change?
2) Can you comment on why she's had a history of throwing up and what the treatment for that might be? The food change I described - would that have been a recommendation of yours?
3) Can I give her children's Benadryl safely and if so, what is the recommended does for a cat weighing 10-12 lbs?
4) Might she have tapeworms? She's had those in the past and catches/eats mice regularly.
5) is there an Rx you can prescribe that will calm her nerves?
Thank you!
1) Yes. I don't see any mechanism for food to be involved in this condition. It's not been a repeating factor in the hyperesthetic cats I've seen over the last 44 years.2) Most frequently vomiting cats are eventually diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) which is addressed with a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone +/- the antiinflammatory antibiotic metronidazole. There are more possible etiologies for vomiting than I could list in this venue, however. I only recommend commercial foods that have undergone AAFCO testing. You can find the AAFCO (our food testing organization) statement on the food label. 3) Yes, diphenhydramine (Benadryl) can be dosed at 1-2 mg/lb every 8-12 hours. Cats hate the taste of the liquid diphenhydramine suspensions, however. 4) Yes, but tapeworms (unless in large numbers) aren't considered clinically important. You can worm presumptively with over the counter wormers containing praziquantel.5) I regret that I'm not allowed to prescribe through this venue. Mea culpa.You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian