Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 2 year old cat has a very slight case of worms I found one

Customer Question

My 2 year old cat has a very slight case of worms I found one on Monday night Tuesday night and Wednesday morning can I buy something to give him over the counter to take them away
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Where did you find the worm? 2- Are the worms like rice or spaghetti?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By his butt and like rice
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he moves his tail and one is there you can see it
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, what you are seeing are tapeworms. You can buy in your local pet store or online (amazon.com) a dewormer called Praziquantel, give at label dose; this will get rid of the tapeworms. It is important to remember that they can get tapeworms from fleas. So, make sure he doesn't have fleas. If so, used products like Frontline and vacuum the home to get rid of the fleas. In addition, treat the home with a product called Fleabusters. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I be able to see the fleas on him? I don't see any in my home or on him
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Most of the time you can. But, what you can do is comb him and look for fleas or flea dirt within the hair on the comb.