Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

What could be the issue if there is blood present in the s

Customer Question

What could be the issue if there is blood present in the stool?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, we can see blood in stool for a range of reasons. The most common reasons will be due to colonic inflammation secondary to bacterial agents (colitis). Though we can also see this with parasites like Giardia, Coccidia, and whipworms. And it can be a feature of severe bacterial infections like Salmonella or Campylobacter. And while less common in cats, we can also see fresh blood in stool when they have anal gland issues, rectal polyps or tumors. So, these would be our concerns for your lad. If he isn't up to date on worming, do consider doing so now. As well, a light diet (ie boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder)) can also be of benefit with a mild colitis. Though if the bleeding is profuse, he acts unwell, or it doesn't settle with the above; we'd want a check with his vet +/- a stool sample tested to identify which cause is present here so that it can be treated and cleared. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )