Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

MY CAT HAD HIS BOWELS CLEANED OUT BY THE VET AND HAD A BAD

Customer Question

MY CAT HAD HIS BOWELS CLEANED OUT BY THE VET AND HAD A BAD REACTION TO THE ANESTHESIA. hE WAS WOBBLY AND HE CRIED AND SCREAMED A LOT. NOW HE IS HOME FOR A DAY AND STILL HAS NOT EATEN ANY FOOD OR HAD ANY WATER...HE JUST SITS AND STARES...DOES NOT SLEEP EITHER. WHAT TO DO.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like they may have used a sedative like Acepromazine, or a longer acting anesthetic like Telazol. In an older cat, these can take a while to metabolize and be cleared from the body. It's not uncommon to take 24 hours in some animals. The best thing to do, would be to call your vet in the morning and try to get some fluids in him. That will help maintain his hydration. I would also consider giving a dose of Mirtazapine, an appetite stimulant. If that doesn't do the trick, then I would put him on IV fluids for a day or two. For pain, I like to use Buprenex in these guys. It helps a lot with pain and also can stimulate the appetite some. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.