Jerry Swetnam
Jerry Swetnam,
Experience:  Chief of Staff at Banfield Pet Hospital
93862758

20 pound cat exhibits extreme discomfort when touched anywhere

Customer Question

20 pound cat exhibits extreme discomfort when touched anywhere except around the face; cannot even brush him very lightly. Just started in the last couple of days.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If this happens all over his body, he may have a condition called Feline Hyperesthesia. It may literally hurt just to be touched. Watch for any rolling or rippling of his back muscles and skin, dilated pupils, sudden bursts of activity or tail fixation/chasing. If he is very itchy, the skin can be irritated from an allergy or fleas. If his hair is matted, that can make it very uncomfortable as well. Watch him walk and make sure he doesn't have any lameness, stiffness, hunched back or lack of coordination in the rear end. A back injury can hurt and make them not want to be touched in that area. I would have your vet check him out tomorrow and do a thorough exam through his skin and coat. If they do think he may have hyperesthesia, putting him on an anti-anxiety or an anti-seizure medication may help. The condition has been linked to both problems. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Jerry Swetnam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Patti. This is Dr. Scott. I will help the best I can. Obvious any information I give is general in nature and is not specific to this case. In dental abscess cases, clindamyacin is typically used (5 mg/pound once a day or divided twice a day). Clavamox is another antibiotic occasionally used at 6.25 mg/pound twice a day. I am not certain this is a dental case though. Typically we do not see swelling on neck due to tooth root abscess. Could be his lymph node? I would recommend doing an oral exam and look for obvious dental issues, tumors, foreign bodies, etc. Obviously the best thing to do is to bring to a veterinarian who could better determine cause and possible treaments. I hope this helps and Good Luck!Dr. S