Jerry Swetnam
Jerry Swetnam,
Experience:  Chief of Staff at Banfield Pet Hospital
93862758

My cat's right face is swollen, he was scratching there and

Customer Question

My cat's right face is swollen, he was scratching there and now it is red like a hot spot. He seems ok but don't eat much. (grey tabby)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your cat today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does your cat spend any time outdoors? How old is your cat? Any evidence of trauma?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
indoor and outdoor. 11years old no trauma
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I stay here to get more feedback
Yes I am working on your answer now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't as my credit card is kinda full right now
Okay thanks for the additional information. Will he let you look in his mouth at all? Has he ever got into any fights in the past? With him being an indoor/outdoor one common cause for swelling in cats that go outdoors is an abscess. One common cause for an abscess is a bite wound from some type of animal. Usually a bite wound on a face can cause bacteria to be trapped in the skin then cause swelling and the build up of pus. Another thing to consider because of his age is severe dental disease. If he has a dental infection this can cause swelling as well
Were you asked about an additional service?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a cat who got a bite once and they cleared it up with meds and a collar he had to wear, and also it didn't swell like this But it was on his tail. But this cat is not a fighter and very calm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I as able to take that cat to the vet at that time, but this one I cannot afford. I was hoping I could give him something myself
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any kind of cream
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I try to look in his mouth
It probably didn't swell as much on the tail because there is not as much tissue on the tail as there is on the face.So it still could be a type of abscess. Unfortunately if it is an abscess there is no cream that would help. He would need an oral antibiotic and that only can be prescribed by a veterinarian. The only thing you can do to help provide some relief is to apply a warm compress to the area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think a vet will give me an antibiotic, if I ask
If he will let you look in his mouth you can try Just be careful because if he is painful he may try to bite. For a veterinarian to give you an antibiotic they will likely need to see your cat because of veterinary regulations and laws
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I guess this nothing I can do for him but a warm compress. Poor cat. that's all
You should see if you could find a veterinarian that has an inexpensive office visit then see if they can write you a prescription for an antibiotic. There are some antibiotics offered by pharmacies that are relatively inexpensive
Expert:  Jerry Swetnam replied 1 year ago.
Hi there this is Dr. Scott. Where exactly is the swelling? If it located under the eye, then it one strong possibility is a tooth abscess. Another possibility is an access from some other causes. Could your cat have been fighting with another cat?
Another less likely cause would be tumors (cancerous, non-cancerous)
I have also seen some unusual things with salivary ducts. Another less likely causeTo summarize abscess is most likely cause with a high suspicion of a tooth root needing to be ruled out. I would suggest scheduling an appointment with a veterinarian so they can take a look, do any proper diagnostics (i.e. Radiographs) and treatments (surgical, medical).I hope this helps!
Good Luck