How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7466
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a cat that is about 9 years old, Josie. Josie is a

Customer Question

I have a cat that is about 9 years old, Josie. Josie is a rescue and has inbred issues. My vet is out of town till Monday. Josie has been suffering from gum inflammation and has had most of her teeth remove since December. She has the two bottom canines left because they were solid. My vet has given her a super anti-inflammatory shot, steroids I think, and it is like a light switch, Josie is fine again. The last time she switched it a bit. The shot was not the long lasting type of medication and then I have been Prednisolone 5 Tab, 1/4 of a tablet each day. Usually, when Josie crashes as I call it, she stops playing, then stops treats, and then stops eating. Not so much this time, but she seems not to want to eat or it hurts too much. I give canned wet food that I add water to, to make it easier for her to eat and the other girls love it. That is the history. My question after telling you this is, Can I give her any amount of aspirin for pain relief until she sees Dr. Robin on Monday? Josie weighs about 8-9 pounds. I have the low dose 81 mg aspirin for myself, heart issues. Can I cut this down to a small enough dose for Josie? Or is this a bad idea?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl Josie. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. It certainly sounds like Josie has had some long term issues with her gum inflammation and subsequent oral pain! This condition does seem to happen for some cats, and removing the teeth generally seems to be the answer. It is quite likely that if the other remaining canine teeth are removed (despite being solid), that the inflammation will settle even further. It is also a good idea to have Josie's jaw xrayed to ensure there aren't any remaining tooth roots from her other teeth left in, as this can cause ongoing inflammation as well. Steroid injections and oral steroids do tend to the settle the inflammation in these cases enough to allow more comfortable eating. When using steroids, we can't really use other anti inflammatory drugs however, including aspirin - so definitely do not give Josie any aspirin. In fact, it doesn't take a lot of aspirin to be toxic to cats either, so it's best just to avoid that idea altogether. The steroids sound like they are doing their thing for the most part, however it is also important to realize that long term, there is a high chance that Josie could develop secondary issues as a result of these - such as diabetes. Definitely follow up with your vet again first thing on Monday and ask if a higher dose of Prenisolone could be used. Generally a dose of around 0.2mg/lb of body weight up to twice daily can be used, but the higher the dosage, the more like the side effects of the drug (both short and long term). Hopefully Josie keeps eating without an issue over the weekend. If she does 'crash', then you could consider 1/4 of a 5mg prednisolone tablet twice daily until you can follow up with your vet. Ideally, just stick with the prescribed dose for Josie unti you can see Dr Robin. I hope this helps, and do steer clear of giving aspirin to your girl. It isn't very helpful for cats in general, and would definitely not be an option in tandem with your girl's steroids. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,How is Josie's issue now? Did you manage to get back to follow up with Dr Robin? It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.Kind Regards,Dr E