Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just found on my cat Chase a wound atop his head,his fur

Customer Question

I just found on my cat Chase a wound atop his head,his fur was matted and came lose ro reveal itself.its all pussie and bout as round as a pencil.i cleaned it and put muprocin cream 2% on it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is Chase A bleeding a lot?
Customer: No it looks atleast a day old
JA: Phew. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chase A?
Customer: He iis ten yr old and is hymilayian
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Sorry to hear that Chase has this problem, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ... 1. Wounds of this nature are very common in the cat, they are often the result of fighting with other cats but other causes are possible. 2. In many cases simple home remedies will resolve the matter, consider poulticing the area with warm salt water twice a day for at least five minutes a session and do this for five days or so. Just use warm water from the tap and saturate it with table salt then use kitchen paper soaked in the salt solution and hold it against the wound. Then gently dab the area dry with clean kitchen paper and apply the Muprocin, also consider Neosporin which may be better in this sort of situation. 3. You may well be able to handle the situation in the above manner but if it does not quickly start to heal or if you note any deterioration then it would be best to get a vet involved as in some cases a course of antibiotics may be necessary. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how chase is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the small wound on his head ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.