Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My hemy, Chloe has stopped eating fora couple weeks now. I

Customer Question

My hemy, Chloe has stopped eating fora couple weeks now. I thought maybe it was the cat food so i changed back to what i know she likes. She still isn't eating and has lost a lot of weight. She still goes outside and seems active but this morning I found piles of vomit that looked like stomach acid. I can't prove it was her's so I'm at a loss.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: She has never drinken out of a water bowl..we keep the sink on drip. So I'm not sure ifs shes been hydrating.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Chloe. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am very worried about a cat that is not eating for this long. Cats are peculiar; if they go too long without eating, that can cause a liver problem called hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver. If they get fatty liver, then they get even sicker, and less likely to eat. So if she has not eaten for a couple of weeks I would be worried that her not eating could be causing this liver disease we see in cats. If you look at her gums, are they pink in color? Or pale? Or a yellow tinge? Vomiting can be a sign of liver disease, but can also indicate kidney disease, intestinal/stomach disease, infection, heart disease, cancer, stress. Cats vomit for literally dozen of reasons. If she were mine or my patient, I would start with a thorough physical exam: palpate her internal organs and lymph nodes, listen with a stethoscope, take her temperature, etc. I would probably also do some basic blood tests, to check her liver. If a cat does not eat for 2 days I get worried so if she has not eaten for a couple of weeks and is losing weight, I would get her checked out as soon as possible.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote. How is Chloe doing? Can I answer anything else?