Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My kitten is nearly 8 weeks old and in the last hour she has

Customer Question
become very quiet and larthargic...
My kitten is nearly 8 weeks old and in the last hour she has become very quiet and larthargic one of her poops were normal and then her poops were runny and short like she couldn't poop it all out, and when she walks it's like her back legs are in pain, she also been vomiting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your kitten?
Customer: She won't drink anything..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/4/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What color are her stools and vomit? Any blood or black material?Can she keep anything down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Hi again,I have not heard back from you but I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lass.The reason is because when we see upper and lower GI signs with nausea so severe that they won’t drink or eat; it is a high-risk situation for dehydration and nutrient loss. And with young kittens, they can quickly deteriorate on us. Now in regards ***** ***** for what we are seeing, this does raise a few concerns. Specifically, we’d need to consider include GI infections, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). With this all in mind, if she cannot even drink, we’d be best to have her seen urgently. This is because often we need us to bypass their mouths with strong injectable anti-nausea treatments. Though if there is any delay in getting her seen, you can try her with a small dose of an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is again a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. After her stomach has been steadied, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. (Do avoid Pepto Bismol or Imodium as those aren’t cat friendly). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. With how severe her signs are and how young she is, I do think we have a situation that we need to be proactive about and have her seen urgently. Though any delay and you can try the above. Of course, if she isn’t settling or there is a risk she ate something harmful; then we’d need her seen as soon as possible by your local vet. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, and antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Hello again,How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is going alright now, took her to my local vet and she just has one very upset tummy, we've been told to give her fish oil once a day until her poos go back to normal, is there anything else we could give her to help with her digesting her kitten wet food and kibble
Thank you for the update,I am glad to hear that it was just a severe stomach upset and hopefully her stools are normalizing with the fish oil (since too much of that can cause runny stools itself). Otherwise, I would suggest probiotics (ie Fortiflora) for her to help support her gut and aid her digesting her food as she should.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian