Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has a fungus infection on his claw area that is

Customer Question
spreading. I took him to...
My cat has a fungus infection on his claw area that is spreading. I took him to the Vet but she didn't diagnose this. My cat is currently on Clavamox 125mg, Buprenex for pain, and Entederm ointment. Is this the best course of treatment for this type of infection??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/3/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr B, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
HI this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you with this. First I must ask how you know it is fungal.....I ma not saying it is not but there are many things that can occur on the claw that are not fungal. So, fungal infections can occur , so can bacterial , so can autoimmune like Pemphigus and so can neoplastic or cancerous lesions. Having said that I will look at the picture but must let you know that these things cannot be diagnosed by simply looking at them. Usually cultures + or minus biopsy is required toget definitive diagnosis.....I am going to view the pics now.....give me a few minutes...
Ok, well that is a really bad situation and you need to see a vet and get a biopsy asap!!!! That very well could be cancer and right now is my highest differential . The infection is probably simply secondary.....I am standing by for questions......
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Btw, the black area is much smaller than it was on last Friday.
Pleas see my answer above.....this is very serious......
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just noticed that it was spreading to his nails on both sides.
You are going to have to have a biopsy, and cultures to get this one figured out. I have been in practice over 26 years and trust me when I tell you get this done asap.....
I am standing by for questions......
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is what the Vet said but she wanted to try the antibiotic first before having me spend so much money.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I get my cat declawed
I would not do that......because of the risks involved.......as far as declaw goes, your pet may need more than a declaw...if there is cancer in that toe then an amputation will need to occur higher up and even if it is just infection you still may need an amputation.....of the affected toe (s)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What are my options if I don't want to spend money on treatment for cancer.
The way this would be handled even if it proves to be cancer would be amputation of the digit.....if it is cancer the sooner this is done the better because it may not spread.....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So the fact that the black area is getting smaller isn't any indication that it fungus infection?
No......
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would the vet perform the amputation if needed??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will be speaking with the vet today.
Most vets can.... you will have to consult with your vet to see if they are qualified to do this. Just ask her...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it comes out that it isn't cancerous than what??
Whether it is cancer or infection the source of the problem will be removed with amputation. If it is infection they do not usually clear without amputation....if it is autoimmune then she can trea tfor that....anyway you cut it you must have a biopsy and if it were doing it I would remove all of the problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll have her send the culture for biopsy today. Thank you
Also your pet needs bloodwork and xrays of the chest and preferably abdominal Ultrasound before surgery....or you can look for spread after surgery if you choose....discuss with you vet.
Your pet's toe will have to be amputated before biopsy can be done......do you have any other questions?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Ok, well best of luck to you.Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question. Thank you very much!
Let me know if you need additional help once you get pathology results......Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to provide follow up answers. Thank you very much!
If you don't mind I would appreciate a rating for my service. Thank you, DRB
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian