How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 10269
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat ingested a medication called Linzess (linaclotide) 145

Customer Question

My cat ingested a medication called Linzess (linaclotide) 145 mcg/capsule. Can this be poisonous to cats ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I recently came online and see that your question about Mandy hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can. Unfortunately, we have no pharmacokinetic studies in cats or dogs for that matter about use of this drug in our patients which means we don't have an acceptable dosage amount nor what the side effects might be if an overdose occurred. Given the nature of this drug and the way it works in humans, I wouldn't expect significant toxicity issues but I wouldn't be surprised if diarrhea and/or cramping might develop within 12-24 hours.If she seems fine and isn't showing any symptoms and it's been this long after she ingested the drug, then most likely she'll be just fine. If diarrhea should develop, it should be transitory in nature and should quickly resolve. I hope this helps although again, my profuse apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,I'm just following up on Mandy. How are things going with her? Deb