Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our cat we had since january of this year got ran over yesterday

Customer Question

our cat we had since january of this year got ran over yesterday and broke his back right leg,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: the cat trys to walk but crys and its hard for him to walk. his right back leg just hangs
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** i dont know how old he is. i think he was born last november or last december
JA: How old is Midnight?
Customer: idk
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Midnight?
Customer: not that i know of, but we dont have money to pay for everything, and we live in arab alabama 35016
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.I recently came online and see that your question about Midnight hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a reply but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can. Without an x-ray, we can't know for sure that his leg is broken although it certainly sounds as if it might be. I understand that your financial situation may prohibit from having him seen but I hope to be able to reassure you that he may do just fine in the long term. I know this may sound odd but cats are phenomenal healers and I've seen patients with some severe injuries/fractures do just fine ....although it took them a while to heal. The following would be my suggestions: 1. If at all possible, he should remain in a cage or similar structure so that he can't move around for about 4-6 weeks. Provide food, litterbox and toys but this is where he should spend the majority of this time. You can let him out to pet and touch him but he shouldn't be allowed to run around. 2. I wouldn't try to bandage or splint the leg since to do so could affect circulation if the bandage is too tight. And, unless one knows what they're doing, a bandage or splint won't be terribly effective. 3. I don't typically suggest over the counter mediation since cats are quite sensitive to many of these drugs and might cause harm. However, Aspirin can be given for pain if you're really, really careful with the dose. The average cat of 10 lbs can be given 81 mg (low dose) every three days but no more than this. Depending in the nature and location of the fracture (if present), he might walk with a limp or never have a normal gait but I can guarantee you that it won't slow him down at all.But, he'll need time for his body to heal. I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,I'm just following up on Midnight. How are thinks going with him and his broken leg? Deb