Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

There ,I rescured a young feral kitten ,very wild.I managed

Customer Question

Hi there ,I rescured a young feral kitten ,very wild.I managed to put it in a large kitty cage with litter tray ,toys and a bed.I cannot touch or go near her as she bites and scacthes.She has a upset tummy with mucous and blood and is very strong smelling.I only give it chicken and rice to eat.I have asked for the vets here what it can be or what do I to help the kitten,but they sadley don't have an answer.I would appreciate any help.I have givern a worm tablet in the food.Many thanks.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: I have not named it yet as we cannot see if its a boy or girl we cannot get near it.
JA: Got it. I'm sure you'll come up with a good name.
Customer: Thank you.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: It was starving and had a very bad coat when I caught it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for rescuing this kitten but I think you've given yourself an impossible task. These ferals have a high incidence of feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency viruses as well as endoparasites such as roundworms, hookworms, and coccidia. The worm tablet can address some but not all of these parasites. Fecal ova and parasite testing as well as testing for those viruses is necessary for you to have a prognosis for this kitten's recovery but that would entail bringing it to a vet who is willing to work with a feral. If any such vet can be found, it's likely to be one associated with a animal control organization or ASPCA to whom you should consider bringing this kitten. There is the risk that it will be euthanized because it's feral, of course, but it's important to understand that these kittens most often make very poor pets due to lack of proper socialization at an early age. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.