Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have 3 adult cats, 5 to 16 pounds, 3 to 6 years old. Having

Customer Question
a problem with flea control...
I have 3 adult cats, 5 to 16 pounds, 3 to 6 years old. Having a problem with flea control. Used ZoGuard Plus topical, and sprayed furniture, etc. with Precor (?) roughly 3 weeks ago, tried to vac house frequently, to not much effect.
Have seen a recommendation to use the Topical product, and treat with a chewable flea/tic med at the same time. Is that advisable?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/1/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
That can be done, John, if the flea products are chosen properly but it shouldn't be necessary. The ZoGuard Plus contains fipronil and methoprene (Precor) but we're finding populations of fleas resistant to fipronil. You can choose another topical in a different class of insecticide such as the prescription Comfortis (spinosad) or Cheristin (spinetoram), a new over the counter flea collar that lasts 8 months (Seresto), or an oral over the counter quick kill product such as Capstar (nitenpyram) and are likely to then not need both a topical and oral product. In severe cases I recommend treating with nitenpyram every 24-48 hours for 4 weeks after treating the environment with the methoprene once again. You'll win this battle but time is of the essence. As it warms up, flea egg hatches rise exponentially. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian