Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has had an altercation with a stray cat and it's now

Customer Question
a few days later -...
My cat has had an altercation with a stray cat and it's now a few days later - he seems to have a cyst on his leg I'm assuming from where he was clawed by the other cat.
Is it necessary to take him to a vet or what type of antibiotics should clear this up?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/30/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Hello Bree, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm happy with written communication thanks
Hello again Bree, Sorry to hear Kingston has this problem however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. On balance you would be better to take Kingston to a vet to be checked over as this is likely to be an abscess as opposed to a cyst and sometimes these can cause more serious widespread infections in the body. Also prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be needed and some abscesses will need lancing. 2. Where antibiotics are required for abscesses in the cat there would be quite a range of suitable ones but I personally would go for something like Amoxycillin or Clavamox. Please get back to me if you would like more details of how these are used in cats.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Kingston is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect abcess... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.