Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

I have a 7 month old female kitten that I rescued at 5 weeks

Customer Question

I have a 7 month old female kitten that I rescued at 5 weeks of age. She was sighted in a neighbor's backyard for about a week with no siblings or mother in sight. She is missing her left hind foot.. She has the leg all the way down to the ankle, but no foot. It was healed when I took her in so I am assuming she was born that way or it happened right after birth.
Last week Tinkerbell began having severe muscle spasms that led her to muscle contracting in her nub. It is now stuck in a raised position and causing severe pain. I have been to 2 different vets with X-rays done, but no definite answers. Both have thought about amputating, but do not know if this will eliviate the pain. She is currently taking metnocarbamol and gabapentin, but little to no results so far. She's been taking these meds for 4 days now.
I'm just looking for more advice.. I need to help her as soon as possible because she is so uncomfortable. She is eating and drinking fine and using the bathroom.. But other than that, she stays in a lying position at all times so she does not have a spasm in her nub. If I decide on amputating and it does not work, do I have any other options?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question. The muscle spasms and pain are in the affected leg only correct? Not in any other limbs or over her back? If that is the only leg effected I suspect that amputation will correct the problem. Because the abnormality is in the lower leg it is likely something affecting the nerves at that point causing the pain and contraction. If you amputate higher up it should have the same result as an amputation in any other case. And the typical result is that they do great. So, while there are no guarantees, I think that amputation has a very high likelihood of being successful. If it isn't then you would have to do some more test to know if there are any other options... such as an MRI of the region.I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She doesn't use the nub at all anymore so I know she will be fine with getting around.. I am just worried it may not eliminate the pain as one vet told me is a possibility. She is scheduled for amputation Tuesday, and I wanted to make sure that was the best route to take. Thank you so much for your time.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
When we are not sure what is causing a problem we will always worry, but I do think it is the right coarse of treatment. Best wishes!