Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a 12-13 yr male indoor cat. He is over weight and always

Customer Question
ate an good indoor formula...
I have a 12-13 yr male indoor cat. He is over weight and always ate an good indoor formula. He was vomiting 1-2 times a week. No Hair balls, but he does eat fast. Slowly I introduced a gentler formula which has not help. Shots are always updated. His nose goes from cold to dry sometimes. He has always slept a lot but lately has withdrawn from playing. Believe his water intake has gone down a little. We both live a lone.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/26/2016
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you. Some cats vomit simply because they eat too fast. The key with those cats is to slow them down. They actually make a bowl called a Brake-fast® bowl that has raised pegs in it of which they have to eat around. (It looks like a big lego).(Go to brake-fast.net for more info) I have used one with my cat and it helps a little. You can make your own device as well by placing something in the center of the bowl that takes up room in it. For instance, depending on the size of the bowl, you could try something like a tennis ball or golf ball and then the food goes around it. This way they have to pick underneath and around the edges of the ball to get to the food. Make sure the object you place in there is large enough that they can't swallow it and make sure he is not so frustrated by it that he doesn't eat or just goes to the other cat's bowls. For some cats, it has nothing to do with how fast they eat, but that once the food in their stomach, their stomach doesn't empty fast enough and it makes them nauseous. A trial of a medication like Metoclopramide (Reglan®) can be beneficial to see if it helps with gastric motility. Food allergy is another possibility leading to a gastritis or even inflammatory bowel disease (inflammation of the intestines). This could cause intermittent vomiting as you describe. Perhaps a food trial with a limited antigen food or a homecooked diet may be in order to rule that out. Of course, there could be other metabolic problems from internal organ disorders especially when dealing with an older cat. In his case, I would be concerned in that it is going on without resolution for so long. It definitely warrants at least an exam and probably some bloodwork or xrays. The exam may help to rule out obvious things like intestinal masses, but bloodwork is needed to rule out metabolic changes like diabetes, thyroid or kidney disease. Xrays will help to rule out an obstruction. It is not uncommon for all of these tests to be normal and there can still be GI disease present. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and intestinal cancer can present with intermittent vomiting as a symptom. IBD is very common and can be managed with medication in many cases. This is a common and frustrating problem in cats. We start with the easy to rule out things first and then decide how aggressive we need to be to get to the diagnosis based on how severely they are affected. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian