Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have three inside female cats one of them recently has been

Customer Question

I have three inside female cats one of them recently has been having bowl movements outside the box. But wish one it is still urinates in the box also. How would I go about figuring out which one it is? Then what are your thoughts on how to correct the problems?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are the bowel movements only outside a specific box, or does it happen at random boxes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happens at random but not always by a box.
Okay thanks for the additional information. Can you tell it is just one of them is it possible that it could be more than one? If this is occurring daily you can see if you can isolate each cat for an extended period of time until you found out which one may be eliminating outside of the box.
Once you found out which one is doing this then you may be able to determine the reason why, whether it is due to anxiety or a medical reason.