Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Good Morning, I am a breeder of Persian kittens and mom

Customer Question

Good Morning,
I am a breeder of Persian kittens and mom had a litter of nine babies born on Nov 27, 2015. I lost one baby only. Now with the weather getting nice in MN I opened some windows to air out the house from the long winter. I also switched there food to Nutro Max from Pro Plan.
So now i have almost all of my cats with sniffles and throwing up and runny stools? Help my house is getting to the point watch were you step. I ve shampooed carpets once already and going for round two. I have 5 - 8 that i would have to take to a vet and have not established a vet in my area for my breeding as i just got back into it after 26 years.
Could you give me any advice or i guess what i am looking for is an online vet that i don't have to all into? THanks, Deb
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Were your cats weaned onto the new diet or was it a quick switch?What does the diarrhea and vomit look like?Do any of the cats have nasal or eye discharge? What color?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought i requested phone call - I was in auto accident and my right arm goes numb and can't type real good. Persians i have are extreme so always have eye discharge. Cats weaned casually they had adult and kitten pro plan. Vomit looks like rust color with food in it. Stool not a clump round turd but like a pile that ran together and gets in there hair and bath time
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,My apologies about that. Please let me know if you would like my thoughts in this format (as I cannot offer a call at this time) or if you'd like me to opt out in case a colleague can phone you.Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Since I have not heard back from you, I will just post my thoughts since your situation is a complex one.First, I must note that while we can advise you on supportive care and provide information about what your cats may be facing; you will need to have access to a local vet. This is because it is not legal for vets to prescribe prescription drugs (ie if they needed antibiotics, prescription anti-nausea medication, etc) unless they have examined the cat in person. That aside, given your group’s history, I would note that there is some supportive care you could use here to try and settle these signs. To start, based on their GI signs (vomiting, diarrhea) it does sound like the diet switch was too quick for them. Therefore, I am glad you removed the new diet. Though since we have upset stomachs, we’d want to consider putting them onto a light diet to reduce both their nausea and diarrhea. Examples you can use are meat baby food (garlic/onion free) boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Whichever you choose, you can mix in 0.25 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil to the food to help bulk up their stools. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning them slowly back to their previous diet. For those that are quite nauseous, you can treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). This should be given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if any of the cats have a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. As well, if any are too nauseous to keep this down, then those would be the cats we’d need seen as we would need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Furthermore, as dehydration is a risk for cats with upper and lower GI signs, we need to monitor their hydration. To check this, further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure their eyes are not looking sunken and that they don’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have those cats seen before this becomes an additional issue. As well, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit if this was related to the diet change. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria (and ideal since this is likely secondary to bacterial microflora disturbances with the diet change). So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing their upset GI. Finally, the sneezing. In this case, I would focus on the above first. Though while doing so, we can start some supportive care for the sneezing. In regards ***** ***** you can steam treat the cats by taking them in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting them. You can also use a baby nebulizer or humidifer and perhaps could steam them all in a small room at once with this. As well, you can also use non-medicated saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist or Little Noses to reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt the cat you are treating’s head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. We’d hope that as we address the other issues, this too will settle. Though if we were to see snotty eye or nasal discharge, then a bacterial agent would be suspected and we’d need their local vet to dispense antibiotics to get the group clear. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.Sorry I do need the phone call
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture of them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I will just take them all to the vet