CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 31 years of clinical experience, with the past 22 years being in a feline-exclusive practice.
74496554

My male cat quit using his litter and started licking his back

Customer Question

My male cat quit using his litter and started licking his back end having diarrhea. We treated him forms and fleas and ticks and then put a flea collar on him. He got worse so we took him into the vet and she gave him a check up and antibiotic's and sent him home. He was getting solid stools and doing a lot better except he still wouldn't use his litter box and now tonight he started looking scared and started running around while having diarrhea again. Can you help me?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I'mCustomerand I'd like to try to help you solve poor Pissant's troubles.How long has he been having diarrhea? Does he still have the flea collar on? What brand /product name is it?What are you feeding him in the way of dry food (brand, flavors)? How about canned food (brand, flavors)?What is the name of the medication your vet put him on and when was that?Has he had any vomiting or weight loss recently or has he been prone to diarrhea/vomiting in the past?Once I know a bit about this situation I can help you troubleshoot and make recommendations. I will be online this evening and again in the morning. The system will (hopefully) alert e when you reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He started having diarrhea about a month ago and after we saw the vet the second about 2 weeks ago he stopped having diarrhea but wouldn't use his litter box and seemed to be holding it in until he had to go. Just yesterday he started running around like he was scared and had diarrhea again. We used prosense to de worm him and no he does not have the collar on. At first we thought he might of ate it because we never found it. We took him to the vet the second time for x rays and she said he was constipated so she gave him something to clean him out and sent him home. She put de-wormer on him again and when we got home we washed it off right away because he wasn't acting right and then he straightened out and stopped having diarrhea until yesterday. Today we fed him this evening and it is the first time he threw up since this has started but he does that once in a while because he eats way too fast because of our other cat. Other wise he is eating very well and drinks plenty. He has had diarrhea about four times in the last 5 weeks. He urinates in the litter box but he won't use it for his other job. Sandi has changed litter on them about three times in the last six months and we have new neighbors who leave their cats run which started giving us a problem with Pi'ssant getting upset when he sees them outside the window. We feed them Sprout dried food every day and Friskies canned food every other day. The first time the vet gave him a shot of antibiotics and nothing else. The second time she de-wormed him and said he had a bad tooth that we should take care of when this is over.
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for getting back to me.I have looked up Prosense and see that it is a canine product. It is fenbendazole, which we do use in cats, but this dosage form is for dogs. How much did you give him, and if you gave it more than once, what schedule did you follow?What brand of flea collar did you put on him and what was the actual product name?What specific dewormer did the vet put on him?Is the Sprout brand dry food a particular flavor or product name? I need to know so I can look it up and its ingredients to advise you as to whether it might be a problem for him.In the Friskies canned food - what particular flavors does he get? Any fish?Hope to hear back from you soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed the dosage on the bottle 1/4 teaspoon for every 2.5 lbs of cat and another dose in14 days. I rounded it off at 4- 1/4 teaspoons instead of 3.6- 1/4 teaspoons. He weights 9 lbs., and I don't know what brand the vet used and Sprout is a dried cat food we buy from fleet farm. The Friskies is a variety of flavors and yes there is turkey and cheese, chicken and salmon, ocean white fish & tuna sauce and cheese, chicken and cheese, beef and ocean white fish & tuna &cheese make up the flavors. I don't remember the brand of collar I put on him and the collar wasn't on him 24 hours. t was only on him about 16 to 18 hours before it disappeared. When he was x-rayed it didn't show up inside him but we never found it even though we turned the house inside out and the are both indoor cats. We never let them out. The vet gave us some Medication to follow up with in two weeks called Revolution (selamectin) with another name on it (Zoetis) Its in a powered form which we never gave to him. We still have it.
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't worry about him eating the flea collar. A dog.........maybe. A cat.........never.As far as I know Revolution (an excellent parasite control product BTW) is a topical liquid and not a powder. So I am a bit confused at that. At any rate, it's been my experience that the vast majority of diarrhea and vomiting problems in cats are directly attributable to the food they are eating. And the biggest culprit by far is FISH. Fish is bad for cats. Our domestic kitties are direct descendants of Felis libyca, the desert wildcat of the Sahara, the Negev, and the Arabian Peninsula. They evolved to eat birds/lizards ("poultry") and rats/mice/gerbils ("beef"). Fish is an alien food item not suited to their metabolism. I see large numbers of cats with skin, urinary, and/or gastrointestinal problems associated with fish consumption.Fortunately this is easily remedied. Check all ingredient lists (the tiny fine print) on your dry food AND all canned food. Learn to look for the many different names of fish varieties. (If you see fish OIL that is okay and not a problem at all) I am also not fond of giving cats any dairy products including cheese because too many kitties have lactose intolerance.You can change your canned food immediately. If the dry does not contain fish you don't need to change. If you need to, you should do so gradually over about 10-14 days by mixing the old food and the new food together in increasing proportions.For canned food, my favorites are Hills/Science Diet, Max Cat/Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Iams, and Fancy Feast (only Classic style, the one that's like pate). nly feed varieties that do not have fish on the ingredients list.For dry food, my favorites are the first 4 (I don't like Fancy Feast dry food).If the diarrhea continues or is not improving after a couple of weeks on a diet with no fish, you will needto get him back in to your vet. Some cats with food sensitivities need medication to help resolve the GI inflammation (I use prednisolone in some of these cats). And sometimes these diarrhea kitties turn out to have other problems, too, such as uncommon parasites that we just have to let run their course.......or inflammatory bowel disease that needs long-term medication.......or even cancer.But don't fret too much about it right now. Fix the food problem and most of the time the diarrhea goes away.I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even though we have been feeding him and his brother this Friskies menu ever since we got them you feel the fish may be causing his problems. Do you feel it could have been working against him all this time?
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.
Oh absolutely. It can set up a low-grade chronic bowel inflammation and then they can have good days and bad days. Fish is such a consistent source of trouble for cats, IMHO, that I don't like to see any of them eating it unless there is a compelling medical reason to (and that is rare).So removing fish from the diet is a basic first step.Sort of like if you see a doctor because of an ongoing cough and you smoke, the first step is to stop smoking because that will probably fix it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have gotten rid of the diarrhea just by giving him pumpkin. The only problem we have now is he refuses to use his litter box anymore. We will quit giving him fish products also but does that include Salmon? Thank you for your answers.
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.
Salmon is also fish and so I don't recommend it. Leave it for the humans - it's good for us!Pumpkin is fine if it works - I have used it pretty much exclusively for constipation but I'm glad it has helped.He is probably afraid of the box now because of his bad experience when using it. When this happens I like to make sure people take basic steps to help kitties accept the box: no lids/hoods (they trap odors in): food and water far away; adequate numbers of boxes (one per cat plus one, if necessary); boxes in quiet, low-traffic areas; good quality clumping litter (hard clumps, unscented); scoop twice a day if need be, but never less than once a day. And you can also put little dishes of food/water in the places he is wanting to poop (unless it's near a box).Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WE thought we were done with this but today he started biting his butt and acting like something was biting him and he starts running around scared and has diarrhea again and we have done everything we can think of pus what you have suggested. He is so scared he is crying. Now what.
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm so sorry to hear that his problems have come back. When I see a cat jumping and biting at the hindquarters and acting like something is biting him, I usually find evidence of fleas. Sometimes I find that the anal sacs are impacted. I do not see this behavior in association with diarrhea unless it's right after going in the box and maybe being scared or put off by the sound of gas and smell of the stool.You indicated that the vet had sent home some Revolution for flea control. Did you put it on? And if so, what day was that? I have noticed that Revolution takes a while to kill any fleas that jump onto the animal so there is actually opportunity for flea bites when this product is used. Being bitten or crawled around on by a single flea can drive some cats crazy. So that is a consideration. And some cats act like something is biting their rear when they get impacted anal sacs. That is something only your vet can check for.Last but not least, some cats with chronic or intermittent diarrhea turn out to have inflammatory bowel disease. These cats can sometimes be managed with just Prescription Diet I/D canned/dry (a Hills product that most vets carry) but some of them need to be put on medication (usually prednisolone) to control the inflammation.I wish I could help more. I am reaching the limits of my ability to problem-solve this situation online and that saddens me.
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.
How is Pi'ssant doing? I can't tell if you have seen my further comments from the 28th.