Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 11 year old male chocolate york has been diagnosed as having

Customer Question

My 11 year old male chocolate york has been diagnosed as having diffuse small bowel disease. He has chronic diarrhea and the meds my vet has prescribed, prednisolone
5mg tab and metronidazole 1ml have done no good. He is difficult to give meds to.
What medicines or supplements would you recommend and what food should he be eating and in what amount? He is currently eating a dry food that is protein based.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Do you know what the exact diagnosis was? Inflammatory bowel disease? Intestinal lymphoma?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told it could be inflamatory or lymphoma. It would require a sonogram or cat scan to determine which?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. An ultrasound or CT scan may help, but a biopsy would actually be necessary for a definite diagnosis. I am not sure how much Pleiades weighs, but I would make sure he is on at least 1/4 mg of prednisolone per 1 lb of body weight twice a day. 1/2mg per lb would be ideal. Metronidazole would be at least 7.5mg per lb twice a day. I would also talk to your vet about giving Vitamin B12 injections weekly for now. Most dogs are deficient in that with diffuse small bowel disease, and it is necessary for intestinal cell health and absorption of nutrients. I would also recommend getting him on a prescription hypoallergenic diet. That would be best for inflammatory bowel disease. With intestinal lymphoma, a more highly digestible diet, such as Hill's I/d may be a better choice, but you cannot go wrong with using either for either disease. If they don't work, then a higher fiber diet may be necessary. Sometimes finding the right diet for these conditions is by trial and error. Lastly, if it still doesn't seem to be working, I would talk to your vet about trying a different immune system regulator than prednisolone. Maybe try cyclosporine or azathioprine. They would probably only help with inflammatory bowel disease and not with lymphoma, but it would be worth a try. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.