Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 6yr. old cats abdomen is blotted what can I do

Customer Question

my 6yr. old cats abdomen is blotted what can I do for her
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is she strictly indoors? 3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 4- Any other symptoms? 5- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, it looks like you have gone offline. I am going to opt out so that if you return another expert can help you. I am going offline for the night, sorry I can not wait any longer.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. If Sammy's abdomen is bloated it's likely to be effusive - full of fluid. Right-sided heart failure and hypoalbuminemia (decreased level of albumin in the blood) can result in a clear fluid. A poorly functioning liver can't produce enough albumin, and too much albumin can be lost through the kidneys or bowels. Inflammation in the abdomen can cause fluids full of inflammatory cells. The FIP virus and cancer in the abdomen are examples of inflammation-causing diseases. Pus and blood filled abdomens are also possible To know how to help Sammy, her vet will need to aspirate a small amount of the fluid and have its physical characteristics and cellularity analyzed by our pathologist. This will narrow down the possible causes of an effusion. Sammy's heart needs to be carefully auscultated (listened to) and basic diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests are likely to be recommended.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.