Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Customer: Wow, how terrific to have a chat window! Yes, thanks!

Customer Question

Customer: Wow, how terrific to have a chat window! Yes, thanks! Our cat gave birth yesterday and my husband treated her for fleas with Advantage 2 later the same day. We had lost kittens to anemia due to fleas in the past, so he was just trying to protect the kittens. As a former nursing mom myself, my concern was about the medicine affecting her milk.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No, that's the only question.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now we are going to need to tread with care. The reason is because if we have a lot of fleas but mum is treated, we can actually see the fleas focus on the kittens even more. Therefore, you will need to keep a close eye on the kittens, flea comb away any fleas (you can dip those fleas in dish soap to kill them afterwards) and once they are >2 days old, you can use Frontline Spray (not spot on) from your vets to treat the kittens as well.Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question about milk contamination, the manufactures have stated that based on the few studies that have been done there is no sign that this would cause the kittens issue. So that isn't a major worry and we'd just need to ensure we treat those kittens as well in a few days to protect them from fleas too. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )