Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat threw up EVERYTHING this morning. Should I feed her

Customer Question

My cat threw up EVERYTHING this morning. Should I feed her dinner? The cat's about 12 years old and otherwise in good health. She does vomit occasionally but today with was a long time and many, many vomit places. Should I feed her dinner? What can help quiot her stomach? I've had a stroke recently and can not read too well. Any help will be appreciated. Emily Boys
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Emily I know this may be hard for you to read so please let me know if you would like me to call you on the phone ... Sorry to hear your cat is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. You might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, the thinking here is to give her intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it gradually back to function. I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.2. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your cat's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of teaspoons twice a day is fine for most cats. Of course if the above does not quickly start work or if your cat deteriorates in any way then you should have her checked over by your vet just to be on the safe side. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Emily,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her vomiting ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.