Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has very dry skin. He has lost most of his under coat, gets little blisters that fo

Customer Question
rm into scabs. Most go...
My cat has very dry skin. He has lost most of his under coat, gets little blisters that fo rm into scabs. Most go away within tens days. Received a cortisone shot a year-ish ago and developed diabetes within two weeks. We were able to get him into remission within six months, but now suffer with dry skin. He has now had one spot on his shoulder, just below his chin he has licked to a point of a never healing open wound. At least a month now. We had put him into the cone of shame that we actually turned around into more of a cloak of healing, but it hasn't scabbed over and continues to ooze. It does not have a fowl smell and looks clean but his wound has been oozing for over a week now. Vet gave us atopic, but cat refuses to take. We don't know where to turn or what to do. Any thoughts.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/7/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. This all sounds very frustrating. It sounds like all we have done this far is put bandaids on the signs. We haven't actually got to the root of the issue- the allergies. I would first start by trying to rule out food allergies. I would use a novel protein diet- Royal Canin Duck and Pea. This works well for our food allergy cats. I would then make an appointment with a veterinary dermatologist. This is your best bet to get answers. They will do skin scrapings and cytology to rule out mites, infectious causes and fungal causes. They'll then do allergy testing to check for environmental allergens. At that point, they'll make up allergy immunotherapy to de-sensitize the immune system. This is the only way to resolve the signs, otherwise you're just treating the symptoms. Here is a nice handout on how immunotherapy works:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2430They talk mostly about dogs, but the process is similar in cats. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian