Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Customer: 2 week old kitten dying sticky wet around mouth and

Customer Question

Customer: 2 week old kitten dying sticky wet around mouth and worried if other kittens will get this .
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I breed and raise Maine coon cats. This queen had a total of 10 kittens,she was 65 days into gestation 1 was born in the sack not fully developed, 2 others were still born no outword signs why and one dies in the first 24 hours which left me with the 6 kittens. They are now 15 days old nice and round bellies active and mother takes very good care of them, keeps them very clean. When I went to check on them this evening I noticed this female was lethargic and had a sticky wet substance around her mouth, I cleaned her up and she is fading fast, sticky wet still around mouth, wondering if mother could have laid on her ? Mother is 20 lbs
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Does the sticky substance look like vomit?Are her gums pink or pale/white?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?Any diarrhea with the kittens?