Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat (2yrs) has a urinary tract infection. I took her to

Customer Question
the vet 2 weeks ago...
My cat (2yrs) has a urinary tract infection. I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago and he gave her a shot. Now it is back. I can't afford another vet bill. I live by myself on social security so I need to know where this is coming from and how to correct it. Can you suggest help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/2/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. Cats rarely get UTI's. The more common cause of blood in the urine or urinating out of the box is a sterile inflammatory condition of the bladder called FIC (feline idiopathic cystitis). This is a stress induced condition. Many do respond to antibiotics, but they respond better to anti-inflammatory meds and environmental enrichment at home. If you want to try an anti-inflammatory at home, you can use Aspirin. You can give 1/2 of an 81 mg Aspirin every 2-3 days, as needed. One or two doses should be plenty. Here is a nice link on the condition with other things you can do at home to try to help prevent these episodes:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=612 I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian