Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Just trying find out if I can use a baby ear thermometer to

Customer Question
take my cat's temperature...
Just trying find out if I can use a baby ear thermometer to take my cat's temperature
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/31/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. But my husband is at the store and he is waiting for me to call him back because he cannot find an ear thermometer for a cat. Thank you

No problem, hold on, I will have an answer for you in a couple of minutes ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Should read the human one will work almost as well ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Too much haste ... Sorry

1. There are special dog and cat ear thermometers, they differ from the human one as they have slightly longer ear pieces, but the human one will do almost as well, you can safely place it right into the ear canal as cats have a much longer ear canal than humans.

2. The normal body temperature for cats falls in the range of 99.5-102.5 Fahrenheit by the way.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Kerry,

I am just checking back in to see how Brutus is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the ear thermometer ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Kerry,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers

Hello again,

Of course I am very glad to have quickly advised you with your recent question regarding the ear thermometer. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott