Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I am just wondering about the survival rate cat. He ate 1

Customer Question
Customer: I am just wondering...
Customer: I am just wondering about the survival rate for my cat. He ate 1 leaf from an Asiatic ***** *****. I took him to the vet and we had him vomit it up about 1 and half after consumption. He has been given charcoal and is now on an iv. I can't afford to have him on an iv continuously for 48 hours so we are taking him home tonight and bringing him back for another 8 hours tomorrow
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He vomited up the whole leaf and it didn't look digested yet. There was food that he ate before the ***** ***** that was still pretty whole that vomited up too. His blood work showed that his kidney levels were all still normal and we couldn't get a urine sample because he had peed right before the vet
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yeah that is fine with me. Paying for peace of mind
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/30/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so sorry for your concerns about your cat. Ingestion of even small amounts of the Asiatic lily can indeed result in damage to the kidneys & possibly even death. Your quick action to get him to the vet for decomtamination ( vomiting & charcoal ) & IV fluids will undoubtedly minimize any significant damage to your kitties kidneys.

Is your cat still eating? This is a very important indicator that all is still OK. I would have no problems with you taking him home tonight if there has been no vomiting. Your vet may even place some additional fluids under the skin ( subcutaneously ), to continue to flush the kidneys overnight.

If your cat is still not vomiting in the morning, has urinated in the litter box, & is eating, he will probably make a full recovery. It is not a bad idea to continue the fluids again in the morning, & perhaps reevaluate the kidney values as well, but if he remains clinically normal, then he will be fine.

I hope this has addressed your concerns. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian