Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has a fleshy growth on her toe past few months it

Customer Question

Customer: my cat has a fleshy growth on her toe for the past few months it doesnt seem to bother her but wont go away. we thought she hooked her nail in dogs collar and ripped the nail. its about the size of a pearl. no oozing but was somewhat bleeding towards the beginning
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: she has become more persistent on attention
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of this growth to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. How old is your cat, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is 5

Thank you! This growth isn't related to a traumatic event but, instead, is neoplastic (cancerous). Its location on a cat - the toe - is strongly suggestive of squamous cell carcinoma. I can't confirm such a diagnosis without biopsying it but Olivia's vet is likely to recommend removing it - perhaps by amputating the distal portion of Olivia's toe - and then biopsying the removed portion of the toe. If squamous cell carcinoma is, indeed, found, Olivia's prognosis would be very good as long as it were completely excised. This cancer is unlikely to metastasize to distant sites.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.