Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

A vet gave me Cepha drops older cat to cure mattering eye

Customer Question
A vet gave me Cepha...
A vet gave me Cepha drops for my older cat to cure mattering eye and runny nose. This quickly caused diarrhea. I need something for her that does not produce this reaction. Would you have a suggestion?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/24/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your cat's troubles. Cepha drops are a great antibiotic for respiratory issues in cats, but unfortunately diarrhea is a very common side effect. You can try giving her a couple tsp of plain yogurt and Kao Pectate to help with the diarrhea.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of over-the-counter antibiotics out there that work very well. You may try Terramycin powder. The dose will be on the package and you should be able to find it at most pet/feed stores. Penicillin is another one that you can give orally and is available at most pet/feed stores. Amoxicillin is a prescription drug that a lot of people seem to have and it would work too.

Another thing you can try to help her is to take her into the bathroom with you when you shower. The warm, moist air can help relieve some of the congestion and help her get better faster.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck.

Hi Gerard,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian