Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We've adopted two kittens who are now 9 weeks old. We were

Customer Question

We've adopted two kittens who are now 9 weeks old. We were careful about introducing them to our resident senior cat, keeping them separate for the first week, letting them get used to each other's scents, carefully introducing them under a door at first, and then visually. But it has not gone all that well. The senior cat is a gentle soul and he's terrified of the kittens and runs away from them.
What's worse is that he has stopped eating. I took him to the vet's and we did lots of tests and nothing has really turned up. We have him on an appetite stimulant, mirtazapine, but that does not seem to help much.
I have a feeling his eating may be due to stress and fear of the new kittens. I'm going to get him a feliways diffuser, and I have some advice for encouraging cats to eat, but I'm wondering what else I can do to help him relax and, most importantly, relax about the kittens.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Hal, I am so sorry to hear that Nick has been so stressed by the newest additions to your home. Can you give me some additional information?

1) Was Hal eating and otherwise doing well until they were visually introduced or did his behavior start when they were simply present in the home but before they saw each other?
2) Have the kittens interacted with him physically? If so, are they trying to play? overbearing? just too active for Nick?