Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 3 year old kitty will suddenly freeze and hold her paw up

Customer Question
Hello, My 3 year old kitty...
My 3 year old kitty will suddenly freeze and hold her paw up to her face. She feels like she's trembling, and her eyes are out of focus. She's had several of these episodes over the last few years and vets can't seem to figure anything out when I describe it. She is healthy and extremely active. As soon as the episode is over, she'll have sudden bursts of energy and be ready to play again. This last episode, I happened to be home and held her (and cried because it scares me). When it stopped, she jumped out of my arms and waddled funny for a few minutes with her hind legs pointing outward. I've never seen that before. She finally huffed and laid on her side/back until her legs were normal again. What on earth could this be? I've asked several vets. (Side note in case it matters, She eats a shared prescription diet with our other kitty for urinary SO/prevention. The prescribing vet said sharing the diet is fine.)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/23/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Stiletto.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

• Have any of the vets you've consulted mentioned the possibility of seizures and ran basic blood tests (CBC, chemistry panel, FeLV/FIV test) and a urinalysis?
  • How long do these episodes last?
  • How frequent are they?
  • How old was she when she had the first one?

I'll be standing by. Thank you.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian