Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My 23lb. cat every now and then stops what he is doing to

Customer Question

Customer: my 23lb. cat every now and then stops what he is doing to cough. It is a raspy cough, sounds like flem in his lungs. he runs and plays like normal.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: nothing ever comes up with his cough
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for your question today. I'm Dr. Drew, I am a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help you today.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

How old is the cat? How long has this problem been going on for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7 years old. It started maybe a month ago
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Has there been any sign of loss of appetite, weight loss, or signs of not sleeping well / being uncomfortable at night?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No loss of appetite. Sleeping is regular. Activity is normal
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks for the additional information. It seems likely to me that this may be a case of Feline Bronchopulmonary Disease, formerly known as Feline Asthma. This is a somewhat common condition in cats, and it is typically triggered by allergens in the environment of the home or around the home. A physical examination by a veterinarian, plus chest x-rays, and a complete blood count (CBC) are the usual steps taken in such a case. Treatment usually includes some type of steroids, whether by pill, injection, or inhaler, but other medicines may also be recommended, such as a broad spectrum dewormer to rule out lungworms. Additionally, HEPA air filtration in the home may be useful, as well as eliminating obvious triggers such as cigarette smoke, if applicable.