How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7575
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our cat has been sick with a cold this week. Earlier in the

Customer Question

Customer: Our cat has been sick with a cold this week. Earlier in the week we took him to the vet and he had an antibiotic shot. Now his breathing seems to be labored and raspy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** is about 16 months old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kronos?
Customer: He traveled from Australia to the USA about 2 weeks ago.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Kronos. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Your boy's symptoms are definitely quite concerning, but hopefully his breathing has improved since you sent your original message. There are a few things that could have happened here, but given he was recently sick with a cold, it is more than likely that this has taken hold and since cause a deeper lower respiratory tract infection. This would definitely lead to the more labored breathing you are seeing. It is also possible that he has fluid on the lungs as a result of infection or even a primary heart issue.

I am not sure what the antibiotic shot was that your gave earlier on, however the next step here will be to get a culture and sensitivity away to try and find out what bugs are present and causing the issue in your boy's chest. If the antibiotic shot worked, then we would likely have seen some good improvement by now, rather than a worsening of his symptoms. This indicates the bacteria or bugs present, aren't responsive to that particular antibiotic. The culture will allow your vet to isolate the exact bugs that are to blame here and the 'sensitivity' help us to find out the best antibiotic to use in this particular case.

Right the issue is whether your boy can breathe properly. If he is short of breath or seems to be in distress, then you are definitely best off getting him seen tonight if you can. For now, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your boy. If his breathing is better now, please follow up with a local vet tomorrow (if they are open) to get further diagnostics done here. This will include a blood test, chest xrays and a sample of any fluid he is bringing up for culture and sensitivity. This will be the best way to get to the bottom of his symptoms in order to find the most appropriate treatment to get him on the road to recovery. Also ensure he is up to date with his deworming medication, ensuring he is also covered for both lung and heart worm. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.