Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 17-18 yr old cat is vomiting foam and is very unhappy

Customer Question

Customer: My 17-18 yr old cat is vomiting white foam and is very unhappy with himself....not wanting to eat or drink today....making a nasty yowling sound before he vomits....I am worried about him...he should have been having kd food for the last little while but has been having normal food....he is normally a very friendly happy purry cat....am trying to find out online what the problem might be and whether I need to see a vet urgently.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: not really, I think he was ok yesterday but I was out all day...my son said he was meowing alot but then he does that alot anyway. He drank alot of water when I came in from work at 6.30pm...he only drinks fresh water and won't drink water that's been down too long.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your older boy who is unwell this morning. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. These symptoms are definitely concerning, particularly given your boy's age. As you can probably appreciate, there are a range of possible causes for these symptoms in an older cat including anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a kidney issue, an underlying endocrine problem (such as untreated diabetes), or even potentially a toxicity or poisoning.

If your boy is refusing to drink anything at all, then he will quickly become dehydrated, especially if he is continuing to vomit. For this reason alone, you are best to get him seen by your local vet this morning if you can. Here they can carry out a full physical examination as well as a geriatric blood test to check his kidney and internal organ function. Given he hasn't drunk much and is vomiting, they can also start him on some intravenous fluids now as well as given an injection of an antiemetic to stop the vomiting. The blood test may reveal an issue that also needs to be treat straight away. Given his age, I am particularly worried about the progression of a potential kidney issue (such as chronic kidney disease). If this is diagnosed, he may potentially have to stay in the vet hospital for a few days. As he has been on the k/d diet - it sounds like he has been diagnosed with a kidney issue, and in older cats kidney disease continues on and slowly worsens, so it is very likely that this is the case here.

Hopefully you can head down to your local vet clinic now to follow up on his symptoms and to start some treatment for him. It is very likely he will stay in on intravenous fluids, so perhaps take down a comfortable blanket he likes as well. All the best with your boy and let me know how you get on if you get a chance. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.