Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat was sneezing occasionally when I took m to the vet

Customer Question
My cat was sneezing occasionally...
My cat was sneezing occasionally when I took him to the vet for his complete shots plus rabies a little over a week ago. They knew he had a cold but decided it was mild enough they gave him his shots anyway. Now he is sneezing more and sneezes up thick yellow mucous. He seems to feel OK and is eating well and drinking water. I got a prescription of FortiFlora Feline nutritional Supplement that is sprinkled over food but he refuses to eat his food as soon as he smells the supplement. Do I need to take him back to the Veterinarian?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/18/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

This is a good example why vaccinating ill patients is ill advised. When Riley is asked to rev up his immune system in order to produce antibodies against his vaccines, his immune system is less available to help fight the infection causing his sneezing. In most cases, the infectious agent is the feline herpsevirus (FHV-1) but the bacteria Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma need to be considered as well particularly because you're seeing that mucopurulent (mucus+pus) nasal discharge.

Yes, his vet needs to take a look at Riley and I would expect a broad spectrum antibiotic such as doxycycline or amoxicillin/clavulanate to be prescribed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian