Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat Simba is 14 and recently diagnosed with bladder

Customer Question

My cat Simba is 14 and recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. He is on prednisone and orbax. He is now peeing all over the house, on the furniture, and he peed on me when I was sitting on the bed reading. He has blood in his urine. After being on the meds for a few weeks he seems to be feeling a lot better. But I'm concerned about all this peeing wherever he pleases. Is this normal for a cat with ladder cancer? Is it a side effect from the med? We can't take much more.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about Simba having cancer. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

This is probably not due to the medication. It could be that he has an infection in his bladder that is is not sensitive to the Orbax, so trying another antibiotic might help. However, it is more likely that he is not able to control his urination due to pain and inflammation from the tumor in his bladder.

You might consider trying piroxicam, a prescription anti inflammatory that has effects against bladder cancer, and in some cases can shrink the tumor for awhile. It can't be given with prednisone, so you would have to stop the pred first.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer. How is Simba doing? Can I help with or answer anything else; was my answer helpful?