Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat's sacorma starts bleeding tonight. I heard this will

Customer Question

Customer: My cat's sacorma starts bleeding tonight. I heard this will not get healed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: She had her leg amputated last Nov to remove the cancer but it comes back to the area where the leg was cut off. So we know it's just a matter of time
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is it bleeding a lot?

Is your question about how to stop the bleeding?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She starts oozing out blood tonight periodically and starts licking the tumor a lot.
It will be good to stop the bleeding and prevents any infection but I heard with cancerous tumor this is not the case.
Her vet is closed tomorrow (Wed) and won't be open until Thursday.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. As far as stopping the bleeding, it would probably be more useful to get some styptic powder from your nearest pharmacy. Nothing else around the house really works as well. Sometimes using flour can stop some mild bleeding, but it won't help with clotting as much as styptic powder. It may help to put a small t-shirt on her if possible, which many deter her from licking at it. Tumors will often bleed because of trauma (which includes licking it) or infection. It can also be the nature of the tumor, such as a hemangiosarcoma, to bleed. Sometimes tumors outgrown their blood supply and become necrotic and infected. You may get some bleeding there, but the tissue often turns a different color with dead (black to grayish) and won't bleed much (the surrounding tissue may bleed). If a tumor is bleeding often, it is usually good to start antibiotics to prevent infection. Infection can definitely be involved. Once they start having problems like this, though, it is hard to keep them under control. You may be able to get them to stop bleeding for a short time, but they will typically start again. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.