Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat was limping a little last night and when he came home

Customer Question

My cat was limping a little last night and when he came home his left front arm is really swollen
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Anna, by the principle of Occan's Razor, Boo Kitty was bitten by another cat and you're seeing cellulitis (inflammation of the tissue). If he's not given a systemic antibiotic within 36 hours of being bitten, the cellulitis will turn into an abscess that will need to be addressed surgically. Do your best to have Boo Kitty attended to by a vet. An office visit and antibiotic pills will be far less expensive than anesthesia and surgical lancing, flushing, and debridement of an abscess.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.