Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a cat I have had years. I have tried to get her into…

Customer Question
I have a cat I...
I have a cat I have had for 12 years. I have tried to get her into the car & she eats me alive.If she sees a crate she runs crazy. The thing is I am moving 70 miles away she is all I have left and she is my little queen.I have been to the vet to ask for help & she said I have to take her in, this is just not possible. She is a solid black & I really think she is half wild. We have lived in the same home for 12 years, she knows nothing else. she is very healthy. Is there any thing you can recommend that will make her really rest for an hour & 1/2. Please I really need help but I don't want to give her anything until I know for sure. Thank you so much. Sharon Twilley. Calif.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/11/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I am Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Kitty Kat. I'm so sorry you're having such a difficult time right now. This all sounds very stressful and difficult.

The only safe option I can recommend is Bach's Flowers Rescue Remedy. It can be very helpful in situations like this, and is completely safe for use in a 12-year-old cat.

While this product is very safe, the only disadvantage with it is that it may not be effective.

The unfortunate reality of your situation is that the only way to *make* an animal sleep who doesn't want to is drug her with anesthetic agents. If that's truly what you're looking for, I'm afraid there's no escaping the fact you will be disappointed. Without an anesthetic/tranquilizer, there is no way to force an animal to sleep when they don't want to, especially in the face of an alarming or stressful stimulus.

Additionally, anesthetics and sedatives are dangerous things even under the best of circumstances. Unfortunately, the only people who have the training and experience to manage a patient of any species who has been anesthetized is a medical or veterinary professional. We are prepared to deal with the complications of anesthesia like not breathing, low blood pressure, and even cardiac arrest that can occur when using an anesthetic. That's why your vet cannot just send you home with something to give her to make her sleep. I bring this up because I want you to have a full understanding of what you are asking for. I completely understand your desire for something to make her sleep during this trip. I just want to be sure you understand what it would take to do that.

In the meantime, let's be hopeful she responds well to Rescue Remedy. It's worth a try, and you can rest assured it's safe.

Another helpful hint that has been passed on over the years is that some cats who panic in a crate will travel well in a pillowcase.

The bot***** *****ne is that we prioritize everyone's safety here. We don't want you getting hurt trying to transport her, and we don't want her to get hurt in the process either.

Perhaps there is a veterinarian in your area who does housecalls and would be able to provide additional sedation for her. I know that if you were in my area I would certainly do the best I could to help you transport her without anyone getting injured.

I hope this information helps.

Does this help to answer your question at this point in time? Again, I'm really sorry you've got to transport her when she's so unwilling.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian