Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

She's sneezing occasionally (maybe only 4 times a day) and

Customer Question
Customer: She's sneezing occasionally (maybe...
Customer: She's sneezing occasionally (maybe only 4 times a day) and rubbing her nose with her paw. She'll sneeze and then be fine for hours.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Vilah, and she's 3 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Vilah,?
Customer: She's on the thinner side. She eats like a horse and uses the litter box regularly with no issues.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/11/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common cause of sneezing in cats. The bacterial respiratory pathogens Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma are also important but not found as frequently. In most cases, FHV-1 will remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks. If Vilah worsened instead of progressively improved over that time period her vet has two reasonable options. Doxycycline is the antibiotic of choice for the bacterial agents and so can be prescribed presumptively. Alternatively, PCR (a DNA-based) testing can identify which of the infectious agents is present and then treat predicated upon the test results. PCR is pricey but quite sensitive.

In chronic cases in which FHV-1 has been identified, the systemic antiviral drug famciclovir can be prescribed. An allergic rhinitis (inflammation inside the nose) is a consideration but isn't as common a finding as is infection. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian