Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

S ear is swollen and bent over. He keeps shaking s head, s…

Customer Question
His ear is swollen...

His ear is swollen and bent over. He keeps shaking his head

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** and he is 13 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peter?

He is an indoor cat and has always been an indoor cat.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/8/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions to see if I can better assess your situation.

Does it look like the ear is filled with fluid?

Is he having any other problems at home?

No other problems at home, but it does appear that his ear is filled with fluid and is hot to the touch

Thanks for the information. It sounds like he has an ear hematoma. It usually occurs when there is some type of trauma to the ear that causes a vessel in there to leak. If you do nothing about it, it will eventually form scar tissue and go down, but it will look disfigured, like cauliflower ear with a wrestler. That can take a couple weeks, though and will be uncomfortable still. The best way to really get rid of it is to open up the hematoma and suturing the layers back together. If it is just drained, it will just fill back up with fluid, although I have drained and injected some with steroids with some success. There is usually an underlying cause behind the ear hematoma. Ear infections are a common cause, so I would still have your vet evaluate it. Even if you choose not to do surgery, they can either drain and inject it or prescribe oral steroids to help with the inflammation. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian