Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Recently, in the past month or two my cat who is a male and…

Customer Question
Recently , in the past...
Recently , in the past month or two my cat who is a male and about 8 years old has been drinking much more water than he ever has . He uses a litter box with clumping litter and the amount and size of the urine clumps have increased accordingly . Many clumps are bigger than a softball so he is processing the water and passing it . I haven't noticed anything unusual about the urine clumps other than the size and number of them . He has a good appetite still and his behavior is the same as it always has been . Should I take him to the Vet ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/7/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Yes, I would definitely recommend taking him to the vet. Increased drinking and urination can be symptoms for a few different diseases. The 2 most notable ones we see in cats are chronic kidney failure and diabetes mellitus (sugar diabetes). It is possible it could be a problem with the liver, adrenal glands, hyperthyroidism and even a different type of diabetes (insipidus). Your vet needs to run some blood work and a urinalysis. Usually the answer lies there. With any of these diseases, but especially with kidney problems and diabetes, you want to catch it early before further complications arise. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hi John,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian