Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a almost 20 yr old indoor cat. She has 2 problems:

Customer Question
1st her fur is clumping...
I have a almost 20 yr old indoor cat. She has 2 problems: 1st her fur is clumping into big clumps? 2nd As soon as she defecates she fall down?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/6/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Chloe. She's been with you for a long time with her being 19. As far as her fur becoming clumped, this is most likely due to her just not grooming herself as much. I recently had to let go my 19 year female cat and she had the same thing going on. In her older age, she just didn't have the desire to groom herself as much and the fur clumped. There was no underlying metabolic issue or skin issue causing it. She just didn't do her part. That left my wife and I to brush her regularly to keep them from building up. Sometimes the initial matting / clumping is very hard to brush (impossible) out. We started with a full body shave down as this was just the easiest for us and her. Why is she falling as she defecates? It could be due to arthritis. She may be getting in a position and if she's weak, she just collapses. The other possibility is she's putting a lot of pressure on her chest as she pushes and it causes a vagal response where she briefly passes out. If her stools are getting very firm, she may have some constipation issues that need some help.

Thank you ! I was hoping these were the answers. Yes I've had her almost 20 yrs. overall she is doing ok. Eats and drinks fine. I have been afraid to take her to the vet for fear they would think we are mistreating her! you are right I never see her grooming herself anymore. Thank you again for helping me!

That is great that she's eating and drinking fine. I'm hoping that this girl can be with you for a long time more. Give her a good petting for me since I can't!