Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Seems listless, probably has fever, and breathing rather…

Customer Question
Seems listless, probably has fever...
Seems listless, probably has fever, and breathing rather fast.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/6/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Has she had any diarrhea?

She has since recovered on her own. Breathing was about 70 breaths/minute. But I worry about her as she's always trying to get into things to play with, like the box where I have ear plugs...have to hide the box during the day and keep her out of the bedroom at night. She's eaten the tinsley stuff from cat toys, so I limit that now.
Also, tries to peel paint from a door to play with. And I have an older house, so I worry about lead poisoning. Could that keep her kittenish longer than usual?

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that her breathing rate has normalized since you posted. In that case, elevation was likely related to discomfort or agitation as opposed to systemic issues (heart, lung or blood based differentials). In any case, if she is a mischievous cat, then we do need to keep an eye on her because ingestion of something non-edible could cause the signs you saw but perhaps abate as she was able to pass it. So, that would have been a concern. But if you think there is anything hiding in there still, you can add cat hair ball treatment +/- a spoonful of canned pumpkin to her food to just help push anything lingering through her gut.

Otherwise, if there is a chance that paint is lead based, then we do need to remove it or keep her away. It won't have any effect on her demeanour, but lead ingestion can lead to neurological signs (tremors, twitches, seizures). So, we do want to keep her away from that if she is putting herself at risk.

Overall, she sounds like a real handful but if she had those signs and they settled; I'd be suspicious she did eat something that at least irritated her gut or caused cramps that has now thankfully passed. Therefore, do monitor her, consider the above to keep everything moving through her gut as it should, and hopefully we won't see any relapse.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian