Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

How can I get a prescription cats that I can not take to a

Customer Question

How can I get a prescription for Profender for ferrule cats that I can not take to a vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about obtaining Profender for feral cats.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I'm also grateful you're willing to do what you can to help these cats. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you're not currently online and available to chat. I'll be going offline for the evening myself shortly, but I'll be back on tomorrow and will look for a reply from you.

In the meantime, I'll let you know that I have many clients in your situation, and it is NOT a violation of the state practice act to dispense prescription products for feral animals under circumstances like this as long as there is a still a VALID VETERINARY CLIENT PATIENT RELATIONSHIP. Talk to your vet and see what you will need to do to fulfill this, and it can be done without bringing the cats in for an exam.... kind of the same as how the vet doesn't necessarily see every cow or calf in a herd in order to prescribe medication for them.

Additionally, your vet may have other options for you to try. After all, Profender has to be applied to each cat's skin directly. That isn't likely to be possible with feral cats, but it is possible to put something in their food - and that's something that can be done without a prescription.

I hope this information helps to answer your question.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gary,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
durangojo
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going for your cats. Is there anything else I can help with?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo